Note: The Amazon links here are rather outdated. But they may help you begin your search! Someday I'll fix them...
- All-Audio German - Compact disks, no
reading required. Excellent for commuting and one of my favorites. Also available on
- Books in German - Bookstores in N. America
- Books in German - Online Bookstores outside N. America
- Der Buchwurm -
Books in the German language; some bilingual, useful for study!
- Bücherstube - Books, music, calendars.
- Franklin Electronic Publishers - Electronic dictionary
- German Corner Store - Books (some dual-language!) (And Clothing, Crafts, Flags, Games, Toys, Houseware, Jewelry, Linen, Music, Software)
- German for Travellers
- germanvideo.com - #1 source of German Videos in the USA
- Langenscheidt New College German-English, English-German Dictionary - My favorite *big* German dictionary.
- Learn in Your Car, German 3 Level Set -
An all-audio (compact disk), no-reading-required offering, though the
Listening Guide is more than just a script, expanding on the audio
lessons with additional information. Has a rather heavy emphasis
on conjugation and inflexion, perhaps too heavy for the beginner.
For beginners, the All-Audio German would probably be a
better choice. Also available on
- Learn German The Fast and Fun Way -
Compact disks and a colorful large-format book, with a pullout dictionary
(containing an excellent food section, very handy for the restaurants!),
flash cards, and other goodies to enhance the learning experience.
If you want don't want the accompanying cassettes, you can purchase
the book alone.
Also available on
- Let's Talk German Today (Audio Cassette) -
A series of brief conversations for the more experienced student.
The tape is completely in German except for a short introduction
to each conversation. Each conversation is heard three times in a
row, with the middle one spoken slowly to give you a better chance
at grasping the words. The accompanying booklet contains the texts
of the conversations along with English translations. This is
another good choice for that morning commute!
- Living Language German Complete Course -
Textbook with exercises, companion dictionary and compact disks. Also available on
And when you're done with that, the next step is
Living Language German 2,
A Conversational Approach to Verbs.
- Newspapers and Periodicals for US residents, from Germany -
Some of these are quite expensive... well, they come all the way
from Germany, ĉu ne? But there's lots of good stuff here,
maybe something in your price range.
- Newspapers and Periodicals for US residents, from the US -
Newspapers and magazines published in the US, therefore much less
expensive for us here in the USA!
- Schau ins Land -
The monthly audio magazine for learners of German. I haven't tried this yet, but it looks good.
A bit expensive, though. About.com has a review at
Review of Schau ins Land.
- Schaum's Outline of German Grammar - book
- Schaum's Outline of German Vocabulary - book
- Schoenhof's Foreign Books
- VocabuLearn: German/English 3-Level Set -
An all-audio (cassette), no-reading-required offering. Good for
vocabulary-building while you commute. A word is spoken, then
its translation, another word is spoken, then its translation...
I have the older non-music-enhanced version; it's an excellent
- Word(s) of the Day - Transparent.com
- Word(s) of the Day - Travlang.com
- Word of the Day - About.com
- Quotation of the Day - About.com
Am 21. September 2013 aktualisiert, von Ailanto.